Van der Waals (disambiguation)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Johannes Diderik van der Waals: (1837 – 1923) Dutch scientist, proposed the van der Waals equation of state for gases.
- Van der Waals forces: Weak forces between (closed-shell) atoms and molecules. Attractive for long distances, repulsive for short distances. Sometimes used as synonym for the attractive London (dispersion) force (the only attractive force between noble gases).
- Van der Waals equation: An equation of state for a fluid composed of particles that have a non-zero size and a pairwise attractive inter-particle force.
- Van der Waals molecule: A stable molecular cluster consisting of two or more molecules held together by van der Waals forces or by hydrogen bonds.
- Van der Waals radius: A theoretical estimate of the size of an atom not engaged in a chemical bond.