Democrat Party (phrase)/Debate Guide
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The discussion in this cluster raises a number of interesting and debatable issues, such as:
- Why should anyone care about this usage? Is it just a tempest in a teapot?
- Why is it that Democrats might consider the term "Democrat Party" to be an insult, or slur?
- Why do you suppose Republicans choose to use the term? Is it just to annoy Democrats or is there some other reason?
- Is a political party or faction under any legal or moral obligation to call the opposition by the name the opponents choose for themselves?
- Are there other instances in which one political party or faction uses demeaning or pejorative terms for their opposition?
- Is the fact that the independent candidate Ralph Nader also began using the term recently a sign that the label is catching on?
- Should Democrats respond in kind and adopt the term used by President Bush: "Republic Party"?
- Is using "Democrat" without the final "ic" ungrammatical?