Shawn Guetschow is a police officer in Kenosha, Wisconsin. On March 4, 2022, Guetschow was working as a school security officer, a separate job he worked at, when he was off-duty as a police officer. He came across two twelve year old girls, fighting in a school cafeteria. Bystanders recorded video of him restraining one of them with a knee-on-neck restraint.
The school district started an inquiry into Guetschow's use of force. However, they terminated the inquiry prior to it publishing formal conclusions, when he resigned his part time job. The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel published an excerpt from Guetschow's letter of resignation, where he wrote he was forced to resign due to the School District's lack of support for him.
The Kenosha police charged the girl with disorderly conduct. Lawyers for the girl's family asserted the Police charged her in an attempt to shut down her complaints about one of their officers. As of May, 2022, Guetschow was still employed by the Kenosha police.
- Ben Slowey. Kenosha, Wisc., activists call for firing of cop who kneeled on 12-year-old girl’s neck, Liberation News, 2022-04-01. Retrieved on 2022-07-24.
- Emily Files. New footage shows off-duty Kenosha officer using knee restraint on student for 20 seconds, WUWM-FM, 2022-03-17. Retrieved on 2022-07-24. “Cell phone video of Guetschow using a knee restraint on the student went viral, sparking outrage and comparisons to the chokehold that killed George Floyd.”
- Rachel Sharp. Off-duty police officer accused of kneeling on 12-year-old girl’s neck at Wisconsin school in viral video: Incident has drawn comparisons to George Floyd’s murder and took place in Kenosha where Kyle Rittenhouse shot dead two men and wounded a third during racial justice protests, The Independent, 2022-03-14. Retrieved on 2022-07-24. “The incident has sparked outrage, drawing comparisons to Floyd’s death at the hands of Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin and taking place in the city where Kyle Rittenhouse infamously shot dead two men and wounded a third during racial justice protests that followed.”
- Drake Bentley. Surveillance footage shows off-duty Kenosha cop kneeling on 12-year-old's neck, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, 2022-03-18. Retrieved on 2022-07-24.
- Wisconsin schoolgirl charged after off-duty cop knelt on her neck while breaking up fight, WKRC-TV, 2022-05-13. Retrieved on 2022-07-24. “Video appears to show Shawn Guetschow, who was working security, push her head into the floor with one hand and then place his knee on her neck for more than 20 seconds. The officer resigned from the school district job, but remains with the Kenosha Police Department.”
- Katherine Tangalakis-Lippert. The family of a 12-year-old girl is suing the Kenosha police and school district after a video showed an officer kneeling on her neck, Yahoo News, 2022-05-22. Retrieved on 2022-07-24.