Medical order entry system
Medical order entry systems, also called computerized provider order entry systems (CPOE) are a component of an electronic health record and are defined as "information systems, usually computer-assisted, that enable providers to initiate medical procedures, prescribe medications, etc. These systems support medical decision-making and error-reduction during patient care."
Specific benefits of order sets include:
- Reducing cognitive load of the clinician
- Anonymous (2023), Medical order entry systems (English). Medical Subject Headings. U.S. National Library of Medicine.
- Payne TH, Hoey PJ, Nichol P, Lovis C (2003). "Preparation and use of preconstructed orders, order sets, and order menus in a computerized provider order entry system". J Am Med Inform Assoc 10 (4): 322–9. DOI:10.1197/jamia.M1090. PMID 12668686. PMC 181982. Research Blogging.
- Kucher N, Koo S, Quiroz R, et al (March 2005). "Electronic alerts to prevent venous thromboembolism among hospitalized patients". N. Engl. J. Med. 352 (10): 969–77. DOI:10.1056/NEJMoa041533. PMID 15758007. Research Blogging.
- Schedlbauer A, Prasad V, Mulvaney C, et al. (2009). "What evidence supports the use of computerized alerts and prompts to improve clinicians' prescribing behavior?". J Am Med Inform Assoc 16 (4): 531–8. DOI:10.1197/jamia.M2910. PMID 19390110. Research Blogging.
- Ozdas A, Speroff T, Waitman LR, Ozbolt J, Butler J, Miller RA (2006). "Integrating "best of care" protocols into clinicians' workflow via care provider order entry: impact on quality-of-care indicators for acute myocardial infarction". J Am Med Inform Assoc 13 (2): 188–96. DOI:10.1197/jamia.M1656. PMID 16357360. PMC 1447538. Research Blogging.
- The Leapfrog Group Fact Sheet. Retrieved on 2007-11-01.
- Munasinghe RL, Arsene C, Abraham TK, Zidan M, Siddique M (2011). "Improving the utilization of admission order sets in a computerized physician order entry system by integrating modular disease specific order subsets into a general medicine admission order set.". J Am Med Inform Assoc 18 (3): 322-6. DOI:10.1136/amiajnl-2010-000066. PMID 21422099. PMC PMC3078659. Research Blogging.
- McAlearney AS, Chisolm D, Veneris S, Rich D, Kelleher K (2006). "Utilization of evidence-based computerized order sets in pediatrics.". Int J Med Inform 75 (7): 501-12. DOI:10.1016/j.ijmedinf.2005.07.040. PMID 16169772. Research Blogging.
- Avansino J, Leu MG (2012). "Effects of CPOE on provider cognitive workload: a randomized crossover trial.". Pediatrics 130 (3): e547-52. DOI:10.1542/peds.2011-3408. PMID 22891236. Research Blogging.