|Other names||Manumatavai Tupou|
|Known for||Director General of the Pacific Islands Forum Fisheries Agency from 2018 to the present|
Manumatavai Tupou-Roosen is the first woman to be appointed the Director General of the Pacific Islands Forum Fisheries Agency (FFA), having taken up the role in 2018. She replaced James Movick and was promoted to this position after serving as the head of the Agency's legal services department.
Education and career
She earned her undergraduate degree and a Master of Law degree, in New Zealand, at the University of Auckland and the University of Canterbury. Tupou was awarded a Commonwealth Scholarship, and used it to study Law at the University of Nottingham. Tupou first visited the Pacific Islands Forum Fisheries Agency while working on her PhD, and decided that is where she should work.
At the Our Oceans 2022 conference, held in Palau, in April 2022, Tupou-Roosen joined with Aupito William Sio, a New Zealand cabinet minister, to make a joint announcement that New Zealand had entered a $3.4 million partnership with the FFA.
- Fisheries Ministers Appoint First Female Director General of the Pacific Islands Forum Fisheries Agency. Forum Fisheries Agency (2018-11-10). Retrieved on 2018-01-21.
- About FFA: Director General. Forum Fisheries Agency (2019-11-10). Archived from the original on 2020-02-02. Retrieved on 2020-04-06. “Dr Tupou-Roosen replaced Mr James Movick, who held the role since 2012.”
- Edmond S. Fehoko, Roannie Ng Shiu. From humble beginnings to leading the fisheries of the Moana: A Talanoa with Dr Manumatavai Tupou-Roosen, Developmental Leadership Program, 2022-03-28. Retrieved on 2022-04-16.
- Tongan female lawyer confirmed as new director general of FFA, Radio New Zealand, 2018-07-09. Retrieved on 2020-04-06. “Fisheries ministers from around the region have unanimously appointed Manumatavai Tupou-Roosen as the next director general of the Forum Fisheries Agency. She will be the first woman to hold the position when she takes it up in November.”
- Our Ocean conference commitments worth US $16 billion, Radio New Zealand, 2022-04-15. Retrieved on 2022-04-16. “The Minister for Pacific Peoples and Associate Minister of Foreign Affairs, Aupito William Sio and FFA Director-General, Dr Manumatavai Tupou-Roosen announced, at the Our Ocean conference, that the New Zealand Government will commit to a US$3.4 million partnership with the Pacific Islands Forum Fisheries Agency (FFA).”