Fodor was deported from Canada in 2000. He is reported to have been returning to family in Canada.
Fodor left Sisimiut, Greenland on September 11, 2006, in a 20 foot fiberglass boat he purchased there. He arrived at Grise Fiord eight days later, on September 18, 2006. When Fodor arrived in Grise Fiord he was almost out of food, and had only five litres of fuel left.
Fodor pled guilty in November 2006 to two charges of violating Canada's Immigration Act. He was sentenced to seven and half months of detention. Justice Lise Maisonneuve ruled that Fodor should be deported when his sentence was complete.
- Grise Fiord "refugee" to court, Siku News, 2006-11-12. Retrieved on 2008-08-10. mirror
- Border hopper has day in court, Siku News, 2006-11-16. Retrieved on 2008-08-10. mirror
- Jail for border hopper, Siku News, 2006-11-22. Retrieved on 2008-08-10. mirror
- He arrived in Canada with a rubber boat, November 2006. Retrieved on 2008-08-10. mirror
- A ajuns in Canada cu o barca de cauciuc (He arrived in Canada with a rubber boat), November 2006. Retrieved on 2008-08-10. mirror - translation
- Roman ajuns in Canada, din Groenlanda, cu o barca (Roman arrived in Canada, Greenland, with a boat), hotnews.ro, 2008-11-22. Retrieved on 2008-08-10. mirror -- translation
- Romanian who boated to High Arctic fesses up, CBC News, 2006-11-15. Retrieved on 2008-08-10. mirror
- Paula McCooey. Man who tried to enter Canada by boat gets jail sentence, Ottawa Citizen, 2006-11-21. Retrieved on 2008-08-04. mirror