The pair met in 2001, when they both worked on the Smallville television series. They married in 2004, and Budd-Johnson gave birth to a daughter in 2007.
In an interview with People magazine, her husband Eric described how he was able to prepare for playing a villain in Fifty Shades Darker and Fifty Shades Freed, by discussing the books with his wife, who had already read them. At least one magazine interpreted the People interview as a sign the pair had been inspired by the book to follow Grey's example.
- Julianna Cummins. Adria Budd Johnson wins WIFT-T Banff scholarship, Playback Online, 2015-04-01. Retrieved on 2019-01-08. “Adria Budd Johnson has been awarded the 2015 WIFT-T Banff World Media Festival Scholarship, the organization announced Wednesday.”
- Chinese Studios Option Canadian Comedies at Whistler For Co-Productions, The Hollywood Reporter, 2013-12-05. Retrieved on 2019-01-08. “On Thursday, Tang was at the Whistler Film Festival to option for development another Canadian romantic comedy tailored for the Chinese market, The Shanghai Hotel, written and produced by Eric Johnson and Adria Budd Johnson.”
- Molli Mitchell. Eric Johnson wife: Is Vikings star Eric Johnson married?, The Express, 2021-01-25. Retrieved on 2019-01-08. “Budd is a writer and producer from Canada. They met on the set of Smallville in 2001 where she was working as Annette O'Toole and John Glover's personal assistant.”
- Kara Warner. Fifty Shades Bad Boy Eric Johnson Says His Wife Is a Fan: 'It's All about Indulging Those Fantasies', People magazine, 2017-02-14. Retrieved on 2019-01-08. “In real-life the Edmonton, Alberta, native is, like many Canadians are known to be, genuinely nice, polite and happy — though he was no stranger to the kink of Fifty Shades. 'My wife [writer-producer Adria Budd Johnson] had read the Fifty Shades books, so I was already aware,' he tells PEOPLE in the new issue. 'It’s all about indulging those fantasies for an hour or two.'”
- Liz Alterman. 'Fifty Shades' Hunk Dishes About 'Indulging Fantasies' Off the Set, Cafe Mom, 2017-02-16. Retrieved on 2019-01-08. “Still, it sounds like Johnson knew exactly what he was getting into with Fifty Shades thanks to his wife, writer-producer Adria Budd Johnson, who read the trilogy. 'It's all about indulging those fantasies for an hour or two,' Johnson told People. Wow, things must get pretty hot in that household!”
- Jordan Pinto. Bell Media names producer lab participants, Playback Online, 2016-01-05. Retrieved on 2019-01-17. “They are joined by A Little Bit Zombie producer John Griffith, short film writer and producer Adria Budd Johnson (also the winner of 2015′s WIFT-T Banff World Media Festival Scholarship), and Jeff Kinnon, co-creator of Jade Fever (Discovery) and Hail Mary (City).”