United States Army Institute of Heraldry
The United States Army Institute of Heraldry coordinates and approves coats of arms, heraldic devices and insignia for all parts of the U.S. government.
The institute began in 1919 when President Woodrow Wilson directed the War Department General Staff to create an Heraldic Program Office. The initial purpose of the office was to coordinate and approve of coats of arms, heraldic devices and their insignia for United States Army organizations.
By the end of World War II, its role had expanded to furnish such devices to the other military services.
In 1957, Public Law 85-263 directed the Secretary of the Army to further expand the office to provide heraldic services to all branches of the federal government.