Ontogenetic column/Related Articles
Ontogenetic column: The set of ontogenetic clones of the same precursor neuron, arranged radially in the cerebral cortex according to the number of cell cycles of the precursor cell; provides an alternative perspective on the concept of cortical columns.
- Ontogenesis : The morphological changes undergone by an individual throughout life, and its earliest stages in particular.
- Column : Add brief definition or description
- Brain : The core unit of a central nervous system.
- Brain development : The build-up of the brain from ectodermal cells to a complex structure of neurons, glia and blood vessels.
- Cerebral cortex : External tissue layer within the vertebrate brain, ensheathed by the pia mater; home to the nerve cell bodies; important in learning and dementia.
- Precursor neuron : A pluripotent cell that has not yet fully differentiated into neuron or glia.
- Neuronal migration : The process by which nerve cells travel from the place of their last cell division to their final position in the brain.
- Cortical column : Groups of clonally related neurons in the cortical grey matter, arranged in columns perpendicular to the cortical surface.
- Cortical surface area : The area covered by the outer layer of the cerebral cortex.
- Cortical thickness : The combined thickness of the cerebral cortex layers.
- Clone : Add brief definition or description