Jump to navigation Jump to search
- See also changes related to Nonproliferation, or pages that link to Nonproliferation or to this page or whose text .
- Arms control : Treaties and implementation agreements to restrict the development, production, deployment, or transfer of specified weapons or weapons technologies.
- Terrorism : An act, with targets including civilians or civilian infrastructure, intended to create an atmosphere of fear in order to obtain a political objective.
- Ballistic missile : A guided missile which, once its engines stop firing, follows a generally parabolic path to its target, defined by momentum, aerodynamic resistance, and gravity
- Cruise missile : A guided missile that uses aerodynamic forces, as well as active jet or rocket propulsion, to stay airborne and to adjust its course.
- Weapons of mass destruction : Weapons that cause death or injury not primarily through kinetic energy of projectiles or the detonation of conventional explosives, but rather produce large-scale effects greater than possible with the same weight of explosives weapons; by means heat, blast and radiation from nuclear weapon; poisoning by chemical weapon; infectious disease by biological weapons; or acute or chronic radiation syndromes from radiological weapons.
- Commission on the Prevention of Weapons of Mass Destruction Proliferation and Terrorism : Commission created in 2008 by the U.S. Congress, to evaluate and recommend action for the threat of terrorist use of weapons of mass destruction
- Biological weapon : Living organisms, or substances produced by living organisms, used as weapons to produce death or disease in human or agricultural populations
- Chemical weapon : A weapon that cause death or disease by means of chemical interaction with the metabolism of the victim, as opposed to causing injury through blast, thermal, or other effects not on a molecular level
- Chemical Weapons Convention : Arms control treaty which prohibits the production, use and possession of chemical weapons and related assets.
- Nuclear weapon : A weapon that produces extremely powerful explosions from principles involving subatomic particle reactions, rather than the chemical reactions among atoms that power conventional explosives
- International Atomic Energy Agency : An international organization established in July 1957, which seeks to promote the peaceful use of nuclear energy and to inhibit its use for military purposes.
- Special nuclear material : A term for radioactive material of a grade that can be used in a nuclear weapon
- Radiological weapon : A weapon that uses explosives or other mechanical means to disperse radioactive substances that present a hazard of producing acute radiation syndrome or other harmful effects, such as contaminating an area and making it unusable
- Conventional weapons : Broadly, weapons that are not weapons of mass destruction; usually includes precision guided munitions and directed energy weaponss but these are sometimes excepted
- Man-portable air defense system : A surface-to-air missile that can be carried and fired by a single soldier.
- Precision-guided munition : A powered or unpowered weapon that adjusts its flight path to hit a specific target, with a circular error probability in the low number of meters, often less than the radius of destruction
- Directed energy weapon : Weapons that do not use explosive force or direct thermal effects to damage, but achieve their effects by means of non-ionizing electromagnetic radiation, acoustic energy or possibly charged particle beams
States and non-states of concern
- Al-Qaeda : International islamist terrorist network. Responsible for the 9-11 attack and other terrorist attacks.
- Indian nuclear weapons : Add brief definition or description
- Iranian nuclear program : Iran's national programs in nuclear energy, for peaceful and possible nuclear weapons purposes
- Israeli nuclear program : Israel's civilian and military nuclear engineering programs
- North Korean nuclear weapons : Add brief definition or description
- North Korean missile program : Add brief definition or description
- Pakistani nuclear weapons : Add brief definition or description
- Russian nuclear weapons : Add brief definition or description