- The content on this page originated on Wikipedia and is yet to be significantly improved. Contributors are invited to replace and add material to make this an original article.
Coldplay are an English alternative rock band. Formed in London in 1997, the group comprises Chris Martin (lead vocals, keyboards, guitar), Jonny Buckland (lead guitar), Guy Berryman (bass guitar), and Will Champion (drums, backing vocals, other instruments).
Coldplay's early material was compared to acts such as Radiohead, Jeff Buckley, U2, and Travis. They achieved worldwide fame with the release of the single "Yellow", followed by their debut album, Parachutes (2000), which was nominated for the Mercury Prize. The band's second album, A Rush of Blood to the Head (2002), won multiple awards, including NME's Album of the Year. Their next release, X&Y (2005), received a slightly less enthusiastic yet still generally positive reception. The band's fourth studio album, Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends (2008), was produced by Brian Eno and released again to largely favourable reviews, earning several Grammy nominations and wins. According to Contactmusic.com, Coldplay have sold over 50 million records worldwide.
Since the release of Parachutes, Coldplay have drawn influence from other sources, including Echo & the Bunnymen, Kate Bush, George Harrison and Muse on A Rush of Blood to the Head, Johnny Cash and Kraftwerk for X&Y  and Blur, Arcade Fire and My Bloody Valentine on Viva la Vida. Coldplay have been an active supporter of various social and political causes, such as Oxfam's Make Trade Fair campaign and Amnesty International. The group have also performed at various charity projects such as Band Aid 20, Live 8, Sound Relief, Hope for Haiti Now: A Global Benefit for Earthquake Relief, and the Teenage Cancer Trust.
- (Roach 2003, p. 9)
- Nominations for the 51st Grammy Awards, USA Today, 2008-12-03. Retrieved on 2008-12-28.
- Coldplay – Viva la Vida Album Review. Contact Music. Retrieved on 2009-02-15.
- (Roach 2003, p. 18)
- (Roach 2003, p. 98)
- Coldplay E-Zine: Issue 6 (PDF). coldplay.com. Retrieved on 2008-08-31.
- Coldplay Give Track-By-Track Tour of Viva La Vida. MTV. Retrieved on 2008-09-03.
- (Roach 2003, p. 82)
- (Roach 2003, p. 122)