Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Please sort and annotate in a user-friendly manner. For formatting, consider using automated reference wikification.
- Jack N. Rakove, "Bernard Bailyn" in Robert Allen Rutland, ed. "Clio's Favorites: Leading Historians of the United States, 1945-2000" U of Missouri Press. (2000) pp 5-22
- James A. Henretta, Michael Kammen, and Stanley N. Katz, ed., The Transformation of Early American History: Society, Authority, and Ideology, A. A. Knopf, 1991.
Major books and articles by Bailyn
- "The Apologia of Robert Keayne," The William and Mary Quarterly, 3rd Ser., Vol. 7, No. 4 (Oct., 1950), pp. 568-587 online version
- The New England Merchants in the Seventeenth Century. Harvard University Press, 1955.
- Massachusetts shipping, 1697-1714; a statistical study, Harvard University Press, 1959.
- Education in the forming of American society; needs and opportunities for study Published for the Institute of Early American History and Culture by the University of North Carolina Press 1960
- Pamphlets of the American Revolution, 1750-1776, edited by Bernard Bailyn, Harvard University Press, 1965
- The origins of American politics. Knopf, 1968.
- The Ideological Origins of the American Revolution (1967), Pulitzer Prize and Bancroft Prize
- The Ordeal of Thomas Hutchinson. Harvard University Press, 1974; National Book Award
- The Great Republic: a history of the American people Little, Brown, 1977; coauthored college textbook; several editions
- "The Challenge of Modern Historiography," The American Historical Review, Vol. 87, No. 1 (Feb., 1982), pp. 1-24, AHA presidential address online at JSTOR
- The peopling of British North America: an introduction Knopf, 1986.
- Voyagers to the West: a passage in the peopling of America on the eve of the Revolution Knopf 1986, Pulitzer Prize in History, the Saloutos Award of the Immigration History Society,
- Faces of revolution: personalities and themes in the struggle for American independence Knopf 1990.
- Bailyn, Bernard, ed. The Debate on the Constitution: Federalist and Antifederalist Speeches, Articles, and Letters During the Struggle for Ratification. Part One: September 1787 to February 1788 (The Library of America, 1993) ISBN 0-940450-42-9
- Bailyn, Bernard, ed. The Debate on the Constitution: Federalist and Antifederalist Speeches, Articles, and Letters During the Struggle for Ratification. Part Two: January to August 1788 (The Library of America, 1993) ISBN 0-940450-64-X
- On the Teaching and Writing of History (1994)
- "To Begin the World Anew"-Politics and the Creative Imagination Jefferson lecture (1998)
- To begin the world anew: the genius and ambiguities of the American founders Knopf 2003
- Atlantic History: Concept and Contours (2005). online excerpts